Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Life in Alphabet - N

is for Nails. The nails that saved my life. The nails that were used to hold Jesus' hands and feet on the cross. The nails of forgiveness, that lead to my eternal life. The nails that I pounded through His flesh on the day of His crucifixion. The nails that I caused because of my human nature. The nails that I take for granted regularly. The nails that give me hope amidst all the hopelessness in the world. The nails that should have been mine - that were meant for me. The nails that Jesus willingly took for me because He loves me. The nails of love.

"When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins, having canceled the charge of our legal indebtedness, which stood against us and condemned us; he has taken it away, nailing it to the cross." Colossians 2:13-14
(NIV)

When thinking of "nails" as my word for the letter 'n', I immediately thought of Michael Card's song, "Why." All the lyrics are good, but I especially love two lines (whenever I hear those words, I just want to cry!):




"Why" by Michael Card

Why did it have to be a friend
Who chose to betray the Lord
Why did he use a kiss to show them
That's not what a kiss is for
Only a friend can betray a friend
A stranger has nothing to gain
And only a friend comes close enough
To ever cause so much pain

And why did there have to be thorny
Crown pressed upon His head
It should have been the royal one
Made of jewels and gold instead
It had to be a crown of thorns
Because in this life that we live
For all who seek to love
A thorn is all the world has to give

And why did it have to be
A heavy cross He was made to bare
And why did they nail His feet and hands
His love would have held Him there
It was a cross for on a cross
A thief was supposed to pay
And Jesus had come into the world
To steal every heart away
Yes, Jesus had come into the world
To steal every heart away

No comments:

Post a Comment