Monday, May 7, 2012

Desserts and Snacks - The Experiment

Hey everyone!

It's only a week until we begin the "Cooking Like Grandma" experiment!  I hope you're as excited as I am!  If you haven't registered your interest yet, please make sure you do on the dedicated Cooking Like Grandma page.  And don't forget to pass this on to any family and friends who might be interested in joining us!

So, you will have seen from a previous post the anticipated Menu Plan for the week.  You'll note that I haven't included snacks or desserts.  I didn't want to make it too strict and regimented for you, so I didn't add these things as well.  If you are interested in a meal plan for these as well, please let me know and I'd be happy to include some recipes that I'll be using during the week.

I'm actually going to use the Master Mixes for most of them, I think.  Although these are from my aunty, not my grandma, they are in line with my 'new' food philosophy in regards to cooking from scratch and getting rid of as many additives and preservatives from my diet.

In regards to how deep you and I want to go regarding the purging of additives and preservatives, here are some suggested steps during our experiment week:

Step 1: Getting on board this experiment and using the meal plan I've prepared (which includes breakfast, lunch and dinner).
Step 2: Using 'vintage' dessert and snack recipes instead of store bought/prepared food for your morning/afternoon tea and treats.
Step 3: Buying organic fruit, vegetables and meat.  I haven't looked into organic food before.  I've never considered buying it because it's more expensive and harder to come across (although it's become more and more accessible), not to mention my lack of passion for any one particular 'healthy eating' view... until now!).  I'm planning on doing more research to find out what organic actually means, but my gut tells me that there wouldn't be chemicals on/in the food from insecticides, washing, hormones etc.  It would replicate food grown in your backyard.

No comments:

Post a Comment