Thursday, February 9, 2012

When Things Are Too Quiet...

When things are too quiet, they are quiet for a reason... I should have known better. When I'd left her, she was reading quietly in her bedroom. While on the computer, my typing was interrupted by the thought that it was too quiet. Then I remembered, it's okay, she's in her room, reading. I went back to what I was doing.

A little while later, that same thought came back... it was too quiet in the house. This time that thought continued and I couldn't dismiss it so easily... it's been too quiet for too long.

My stomach dropped... what was Little Spring up to? At the same time I stood up to walk the short distance to her room, she came and greeted me at the door:

My stomach dropped further but at the same time, I couldn't help laughing. I told her to come and show Daddy... we got to his office door at the same time he was coming out. And he laughed also.

While we took some more photos, we continued to laugh...







Once the initial laughter stopped, Big Spring and I looked at each, then looked down the hall to Little Spring's bedroom... the assumed scene of the crime. We began what seemed like the long walk down there and when we got to the door, we started laughing again, but this time, they were more laughs of nervousness rather than the jovial laughs from a moment ago.

On closer inspection, I realised how far flung (literally) the 'damage' was. She'd managed to flick/fling the sudocrem (weapon of choice) on her cot, in her cupboard and various spots around the room:

When Little Spring walked in the room (I do believe to admire her masterpiece), I caught a glimpse of the backside of her workmanship:

Under different circumstances, I might have been proud of how thorough she'd been!

I turned to walk out the door to prepare a much needed bath for my little artist and discovered truly how far Little Spring's efforts had gone:











I also noticed the trail she'd left when she first walked down the hall to show off her creation to me.

While I ran the bath, Big Spring was very helpful in cleaning up the cream from all the hard surfaces. The big job was going to be getting it off Little Spring and the carpet (Big Spring did a great job of getting much of it off the carpet, but it still needs work).

It took 3 baths, but Little Spring is now clean. She shouldn't be getting nappy rash anywhere on her body for a little while!

And the carpet? Big Spring looked up some websites to find out the best way to remove the remaining crem... a couple of sites told him that it couldn't be removed. Not so helpful, but he came across another one from Sudocrem's UK site...

Removing Sudocrem from Fabrics and Carpets

With little arms and legs waving about while you change your baby’s nappy, it can be easy to get a little Sudocrem on clothes or carpets. So here are a few handy tips to clean it up:

Step 1: Scrape off as much of the Sudocrem as you can with a blunt knife.

Step 2: If it’s a large area, work in sections a few inches square. Dampen the area with clean warm water.

Step 3: Apply mild, undiluted washing-up liquid to the stain with a nail-brush and work up a good lather – this is very important.

Step 4: Sponge off and rinse with warm water. Repeat if necessary.


Ha! I love their comment "With little arms and legs waving about while you change your baby’s nappy, it can be easy to get a little Sudocrem on clothes or carpets". If that was my problem, then I wouldn't really have a problem! But, they have some helpful information following, so I'm desperately hoping that it might work.

Little Spring has managed to spread the crem on many areas of the carpet (again, she's managed to fling it a lot, so there's lots of flecks of it everywhere, as well as the main damage area). It's going to be fun cleaning it up.

I must say, I think I've managed to keep my humour through most of this process, so if you'll now excuse me, I think I might go crawl into a ball in the corner and rock back and forth as I mutter to myself and go a little crazy, at least until I find the energy to clean the carpet... or it somehow cleans itself (a girl can dream, can't she?!).

3 comments:

  1. When Tammy was small - probably about Little Spring's age, there was wall paper in the kid's bedroom. One day when she went up for her nap, she took a peanut butter sandwich with her and smeared the oily stuff all over the wall paper by her bed. I did not see the humor you did. I scolded her and told her to go to sleep. A few minutes later I walked upstairs to check on her and she was peeling the wall paper off the wall in strips! I did NOT laugh!!
    And you can see she turned into a solid upstanding citizen who does not spread peanut butter on walls or peel off wall paper (at least I don't think she does) I can laugh now!!! I admire you for being able to laugh when it's happening. Big hugs and kisses for you all.
    Aunty Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nell, good job not going crazy immediately after this little creative expression!!! Glad you could have a laugh! The photos are great!! Hope you can manage to get it out of the carpet.
    Thinking of you all,
    love Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have friends who could only dress their son in OVERALLS for about 12 months because of what he was taking and smearing everywhere if they dressed him in anything else. Nasty habit. I dare say the cream smells a little nicer....

    ReplyDelete