Sunday, July 22, 2012

Bar Codes and Shopping List Apps

I love the Woolworths App on my phone.  There are so many benefits to using it, my 2 favourite being 1.) the ability to scan in products I have at home to add them to my shopping list and 2.) having the shopping list automatically sorted by aisle number to make shopping more efficient and easier.

As I was sorting out my pantry today, I came up with what I thought was a pretty good idea (and Big Spring thought so too!)... when I get to the end of a product, I naturally add it to my shopping list on my phone straight away.  For something like a jar of peanut butter, it's nice and easy to just scan the bar code on the jar and have it added to my list automatically.  It's more frustrating when I use something like flour or sugar that has been put into a container and I no longer have a bar code to just scan and add.  Instead, I have to add it manually and scroll through a number of items to find the particular item I need.  I admit that it's not really that hard, but it's not as convenient as having the bar code at my finger tips.

So, I came up with a solution!  I've started to cut the bar codes off of the packets, after emptying them into the relevant container, and then sticking the bar code to the back of the container.  That way, when the item gets low, all I need to do, is scan the bar code that is conveniently located on the back of the container and the exact item I'm after is added to my shopping list.

Simple!

I only have a few containers with the bar codes attached, but I look forward to slowly building my collection!

No comments:

Post a Comment